August 5, 2015
* Bram vs Mr. Anderson opened the show. I have noticed that a large portion of TNA's roster uses a grounded, fighting style. The number of guys on their roster who are acrobatic keep dropping. This is fine if you can keep the matches interesting. Anderson ended up defeating Bram following an inside cradle. Bram is a guy who doesn't necessarily need to win matches as he is built as a dangerous person. He just wants to hurt people. For now that works.
* Both the promo and match between Shera and James Storm was okay. Right now, Shera is still green in the ring and not rather impressive on the mic. He likes to overact in his promos. The fans didn't react very well when Shera finally fought back. My hope is that Shera becomes more fun of a character. I have hope for him but at this point, we need to see more.
*The Dollhouse/Gail match was okay. I am enjoying Gail's new ninja character since she is breaking out some new stuff. Wasn't a fan of Gail beating all three girls by herself. There is an argument that Taryn Terrell was afraid and therefore didn't participate in most of the match. To me, the Gail vs Taryn eventual match should be the destination. I don't know if that means Gail finally gets her hands on Taryn or if it is a back and forth match between the two.
* Big John gets credit for his continued quality vignettes. No Surrender opened with a good one, we had one with the Dollhouse/Gail and then we got a good one with Drew Galloway.
* Galloway vs Eli Drake was okay. Drake didn't get much offense in on the match. Right now it feels like a main eventer vs a midcarder. I want to see more from Drake in the ring. We know he can carry himself on the mic but can he thrive inside the hexagon? Drake won this match by using the ropes. This thing will continue. BTW, loved Drake's "sit down" shirt.
* To me, the highlight of the show was the Austin Aries vs Rockstar Spud match. While the finish was predictable due to Aries' recent departure, they really pulled me in. The story that Austin didn't take Spud seriously for most of the match until Spud slowly proved himself was well done. Spud ended up kicking out of the Brainbuster and then hit an awesome Underdog from the top turnbuckle in an excellent spot showed me it was right for TNA to keep featuring him.
The post-match stuff with Aries and Spud celebrating and the scene with Bobby Roode/Austin Aries was bittersweet. It brought the reality on the situation while also moving forward with the product.
* Bully Ray was laid out backstage. It was a good way to write off his character. Honestly, does anyone actually care who did it? With what Bully has done in the past and how he treated Dixie upon his return, there should be a long list of people who wanted to do this.
Jeff Jarrett and Dixie Carter had a segment where Jeff stepped up and offered to run the show next week. With Jarrett's ties with GFW, I am expecting a really interesting show next week. Stay tuned for that.
* The main event was very good. Both Matt Hardy and EC3 delivered an interesting Full Metal Mayhem Match. EC3 was smart in targeting the knee of Matt to prevent him from climbing. There were a number of highlights during this match including the Side Effect on the apron and the table spot. EC3 ended up winning this match clean after kicking the knee of Matt sending him crashing down. Its matches like this that separate EC3's reign from the Reign of Magnus. I compare EC3's reign more to Roode's reign from 2012. EC3 can win on his own while champion. Magnus showed that he couldn't and lost to title almost immediately when he had the chance to do so.