July 22, 2015
Originally, the three gimmick matches were scheduled to be contenders matches with them and a fourth winner (decided in a Steel Cage Match between Hernandez and Lashley) facing off in a Ladder Match. The Ladder Match got rave reviews. Also, EC3 had an in-ring promo with Bully Ray referencing the contender's concept. With the editing happening, the EC3 promo, the Ladder Match and the Steel Cage Match were all cut from the show. The Tables Match was made into a #1 Contender's Match.
To fill in a lot of the show, TNA aired the King of the Mountain Match from Slammiversary. For free, TV viewers watched two of the best matches from Slammiversary that many had to pay 50$ for. While it was an unfortunate situation (which should have been avoided), I can move on.
* Very happy to see Jeff Jarrett inducted into the TNA Hall of Fame. He arguably should have been the very first name announced. They will hold the HOF ceremony next week which should be good. The video package for Jeff was very well done. By the way, you can check out TNAsylum's Hall of Fame section here.
*The Street Fight between Magnus and Bram was okay. With Magnus leaving, anything involving him loses my interest. The good news here is that I love Bram. It was an okay brawl with a few weapons used. Moving forward, I would like to see what Bram can do without the weapons.
* Eli Drake cut a very good promo. I could see his catchphrases getting over. He looked so comfortable in the ring. I am really surprised that Drew Galloway is only 30 years old because he acts much older. The brawl was good. I am looking forward to seeing what these guys can do.
* The Knockouts segment was pretty bad. I love Taryn Terrell but her screeching in this segment was channel-changing. I do like Gail's new look. She continues to torment the Dollhouse.
* The Tigre Uno interview was okay. I don't suspect we will be getting Donald Trump but maybe a story with a hitman or something. It gives Tigre a little character as a proud Mexican. Pretty generic but at least its something.
* James Storm introducing Serena was solid. I liked the backstory between Serena and Mickie James with Storm tormenting her. Their match next week should be a good way to finish Nick Aldis' and Mickie's time in TNA.
* I enjoyed the chain match. Its clear TNA is really trying to push Rockstar Spud and making EY his opponent is a good way to do that. This was a fun match that probably would have been better with more context. The Pope is really coming into his own on commentary as he has been giving different roster members nicknames such as Bram's "maniacal nutcase" and Young's "Bearded Terror." He is great in this role.
Josh Mathews is kind of a caricature of his own with his Destination America plugs and his Trending comments. They do go overboard at times but it doesn't bother me.
* The Tables Match was solid and the finish was predictable as they have been building towards a Hardy title shot. This didn't feel like a main event match though.
Its clear that the Hernandez situation has hurt the TNA product over the past few weeks. A lot of content was cut. TNA has had to make do but unfortunately it isn't enough. I will be glad when it is over.